Saturday, June 7, 2014

Bad Run: A Lesson

Today, I ran 4 miles.

Well, I didn't exactly run. I'm almost ashamed to admit that at mile 2, I stopped for a quick walk break. That walk break turned into a 2 mile walk break to finish out the required 4 mile distance I had set for myself. What should have been wrapped up and done with a neat bow in about 40 minutes took nearly 50 minutes and some grumbling. 

Today, I had a bad run.

While I've only been running for oh, 15 months (give or take), I've realized the power in a bad run. Sure, it would be great to have a great run every time. It would be amazing to finish every run with an increased pace, increased distance, and the euphoric feeling that this run was your best one yet! Unfortunately, that is so far from the truth that it can be emotionally, mentally, and even physically painful. To have something that you love so much and that is supposed to be so good for you turn into frustration and disappointment is, frankly and personally, a big slap in the face. I'm a runner, damnit! I'm supposed to be a good one, too! 

via fromheretome.com
However, as I was talking to my dad, who ran cross country in Alaska in high school, I realized that he probably had bad running days too. Then there were days where he was making, and breaking, PRs. Everyone has bad runs. Furthermore, I have never experienced, nor have I heard of other runners, experiencing two really bad runs in a row. Usually, I have one bad run that pisses me off and leaves me fuming for the day. The next day (or next scheduled run), I am ready to go and prove myself. There is no need to prove myself to anyone else (I keep reminding myself that no one but me cares about my pace but me). The only person I have to prove myself to for the next day is...me! And usually, those are some of my best and favorite runs.

I remember the first time I hit the 10k mark. The day before I wasn't able to get even two measly miles in.
The next day I had planned a four mile run to make up some miles. At mile four, I was feeling great for running at a steady pace and tackling some tough hills. I thought, "one more mile." At mile five I finally said "I'm going to do my first 10k today." It was magical and celebrated by a day trip to the coast with some close friends. 

Tomorrow I have a six mile run planned. Instead of focusing on how badly I did toady, I'm excited to run again tomorrow; not only run - but kick butt!  

No comments:

Post a Comment